A Little Bit of Green in Your Winter
Time to fight those winter blues by putting some green and eco-friendly solutions into your life. Here’s some tips:
- Weatherproofing your home - Some simple, and not too expensive fixes.
- Light an incense stick and hold it near doors or windows to find leaks… then caulk them.
- Add a storm door.
- Install weatherstripping around doors and windows or make your own draft blocker.
- Programmable thermostat - Set it to be at a colder temperature when you aren’t home (Ex. 68°or less), and a warmer temperature when you are. With a programmable thermostat you can set it to warm up the house just before you get home.
- This tip is something that even I just learned - Change the direction of your ceiling fan to clockwise using the switch on the side of your fan. This will move the warm air that gets trapped around the room.
- Use heavier drapes or insulated curtains during the winter.
- Why not bundle up with some eco-friendly blankets?
- Fight Frost the Natural Way - This might be a little bit more work then most want to do but it’s a great alternative to scraping ice off your window in the early morning before work:
- Rub the inside of the glass with a sponge soaked in a combination of water and salt
- Dry with a separate clean cloth / microfiber rag.
6 Eco Friendly Heating Tips for the Winter
Winter Green Ecofriendly Ways Stay Healthy Season
10 Easy Pieces Eco Paints